Saturday, April 15, 2017

Inspired

For many years I've searched the internet for materials that I can use both in the classroom and in my everyday life.  I've read countless blogs about literacy, writing, motivation, classroom management, and even more blogs about home improvement, organization, cooking, cleaning, etc.  I love them all, but I found myself wondering: could I do this?

Recently, while speaking with a colleague, she mentioned the need for us to be good models for digital citizenship.  I'd toyed with the idea of starting a blog for a while.  Now I feel like I must. Not only does it set an example for my students to be active readers and writers, but it gives me an avenue to practice my skills as a writer and model digital citizenship simultaneously.

So, what will I write about? I decided to name this blog Inspired Education because I feel it describes my teaching philosophies.  As an English teacher,  I have more creative direction in the classroom than other disciplines.  I can meet almost any standard using a plethora of source material.  Current events often inspire my direction and we are granted the opportunity to use those events to further our study of whichever topic we are working on.  Thus, inspiration meets education.  Also, as a Christian, I feel inspired daily in my walk with God. Not that I can legally bring that into the classroom, separation of Church and State and all. Regardless, I can write about whatever inspires me here.

I hope to illustrate how I use inspiration in the classroom to help motivate and engage students.  If you are a fellow teacher, I hope this helps.  Ultimately, this blog is for me to be inspired.

I have no plans for how often I will update or when I'll just let inspiration take control of the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guiding kids away from "Neverland"

Over the weekend, a Saturday Essay caught my eye.  Ben Sasse, a junior U.S. senator from Nebraska, published an editorial in WSJ detailing...